[meteorite-list] Blaine Reed Tucson Notes & AD

From: AL Mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 06:50:28 -0500

Greetings Tucson attendees,

Here is my two grams worth on the auctions, dealer rooms, participation
and parties. First I know that the dealer rooms were the first
participants at the show many years back. Robert Haag probably was the
first real dealer to set up and offer meteorites at the show. Other
dealers soon followed as they offered a much needed service. Back then
few people knew what a meteorite was and didn't think you would ever be
able to own one or offer them for re-sale. Dealers are paying about two
thousand or more to be a part of the show (which is suppose to be a
wholesale show) and to rent the rooms from the show organizers. Travel
there and setting up and time are other factors and costs. Obviously
this is a sizable investment for them and they need a fair return.

Several years back someone decided to have an auction, not sure who but
I would think it was the upscale auction from a New York dealer or
possibly Michael Blood. As Blaine said those tended to compliment the
dealers and no real problems. As the auctions caught on, a number of
people would reserve specimens in some rooms and then go to the auctions
in order to bid on items. Apparently after bidding on a number of things
at auction, the same people who reserved specimens in dealer rooms would
they had taken off the shelves. Worse yet some didn't bother to return
and let the dealer know they no longer wanted their reserved items. This
results in the dealers selling less and costing them.

As the auctions gained favor and higher attendance a lower volume of
sales were realized by room dealers. Of course it is more complicated
than just this. There are now more dealers than ever, it is more
difficult for foreign collectors to travel due to past events, other
dealers have offered their own auctions to counter the other auctions
and get people back in their rooms to look around. The show is not
nearly as large as it once was due to the internet and rock and gem
attendees having a lower count these days. I am sure ebay plays a factor
to some degree. There are also a number of party events that compete for
attendees time.

One trend that bothers me is the number of deals I see being made by
"dealers" who don't have rooms but make the rounds to other dealer
rooms. In some cases deals are being made in the paying dealer's room
and has nothing to do with his inventory. To me this is very rude and if
participants can't go outside or meet in a motel room to conduct their
business they should at least offer the room dealer a percentage of the
profit they are making in the offended dealers room. Courtesy seems to
have vanished these days.

There are few dealers that have the knowledge and understanding of
meteorites these days like Blaine Reed does. I think he is a vital part
of the show and it will be a sad day if he can no longer afford to
attend these shows. I recommend that if you attend the show, at least
take a little time out to visit some of the old timers like Blaine. I
think you will be pleased by his display, his helpful manor, his
knowledge of the subject and best his reasonable prices. There may be a
day when all this dries up and the pilgrimage to Tucson will no longer
be and a subject that we only talk about. As dealers close their doors
there will be less an less reason to attend the show.

With all this said I hope no one takes offense as it is not directed at
any particular party. Rather it is an effort to get some of the other
attendee's thoughts on the subject and stimulate discussion. While I am
guilty of attending some of the auctions and understand the allure of
going to them I still make the rounds to the rooms (as many as I can in
the time I have) and spend a fair amount with them as well. Part of
Tucson is the socializing, seeing what all is available from years past,
and getting an idea of what items may become available in the near
future. I hope to see others comment and share their thoughts on all of
this.

BTW, I do like the idea of scheduling a hotel so we can deal the
organizers out but don't know the legalities of doing this. I might be
willing to set up my collection if we ever went this way. Perhaps a show
could be scheduled in some other town, although I would miss the
restaurants in Tucson. Best!

--AL Mitterling