[meteorite-list] Old Woman Meteorite

From: greg stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:39:47 -0800 (PST)

Hi All:

  A friend of mine who lives near Washington DC actualy cut the Old Woman meteorite. I remember it very well; it was the late 70's and when we got together, he would tell me how they cut it (with a wire) and it took months. I also remember him telling me that Diamonds where found in meteorites - this really surprized me at the time.

  His name is Tim Rose and he is pictured standing next to a recently (cut) Old Woman meteorite in the book "Rocks from Outer Space." It was pretty wild to see a friend pictured in a book.

  I have not talked to him in many years; I've lost touch through the years. We would go rock and mineral hunting as well as spelunking.

  Last May I began hunting meteorites in California and have done a lot of reading - I find the entire subject very interesting.

  I need to look my friend up and see what he remembers regarding Old Woman.

  -Greg Stanley

   finders were David Friburg, Mike Jendruczak and Hack Harwood.

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/znp06191977.html

"And there was no reward for them??"

The Smithsonian did offer them a reward, but it was far less then the $1
million they wanted. The finders took the position it was a million or
nothing....and got nothing.

I have at least 100 Old Woman NPA's in my archive, of which only a few are
listed here:

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/znpoldwoman.html

Clear Skies,
Mark

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.