[meteorite-list] Meteorite in New Hampshire

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 22:37:33 -0600

Hi, Gary, List,

    Like a clod, I meant to say what a good
page and description of the "chase" it was
and forgot to. By the time I finished reading
it, my feet were cold and I felt a sudden desire
for hot cocoa.
    Your weather is colder than my weather.
And my observations are probably more true
of a winter that bounces back and forth over
the freezing line. We haven't been "subzero"
(F) for years.
    Maybe the dual ice layer is the result of two
freezes, an earlier one that never melted fully
and a later one that couldn't close the gap.
    The Earth gets about 400,000 tons of Interplanetary
Dust Particles per year: "The earth's surface is
constantly being rained upon by interplanetary
dust particles (IDP's), from a few to several
hundred micrometers in diameter. The mass
distribution of this dust flux peaks at around
200?m (Love and Brownlee, 1993). This dust
is thought to be derived from collisions of
asteroidal material and from comets (e.g.
Kortenkamp and Dermott, 1998). The majority
of IDPs are compositionally similar to
chondritic meteorites (Jessberger et al, 2001),
and quite distinct from crustal rocks on earth."
    The exact amount of nickel in cosmic dust
bunnies is the basis of an argument. Earlier high
estimates of how much dust was incoming were
because the nickel content was thought to be
higher than it turned out to be.
    But, regardless of the amount, you'll find nickel
in cosmic dust. Just think of it as ground up meteorites,
all kinds together.

Sterling K. Webb