[meteorite-list] Larry's Holbrook Holy Grail Find and Bob Haag's Venus Stone

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:37:43 -0800 (PST)

------------------ Original Message -----------------
Alexander Seidel gsac at gmx.net
Fri Feb 23 13:11:02 EST 2007

++++++++++++++++...

[Classification] could be done on the quite
unspectacular backside of the stone.
Do you know why Bob Haag doesn&#180;t want this to be
done? Perhaps this may have to do with the
ongoing Holbrook discussion in a way...

Best wishes,
Alex
Berlin/Germany
------------- End of Original Message --------------

Good question, Alex!

I don't see a down side for Bob Haag should he get his
"Venus Stone" classified. The odds that the results
would show his stone is not paired to Holbrook look
quite good, and then Bob would find himself again the
sole owner of a unique Arizona meteorite.
Wouldn't that be a plus?

But, maybe there is a down side. Maybe if it is shown
to be "not paired" to Holbrook, then its provenance
may become unsettled.

That's why I hope that another piece can be
independently found. Then we could get the name
Adamana (or Goodwater Ranch) approved and finally get
this in the books as an official Arizona meteorite.

Bob V.
P.S. - I'm still looking for better images of the back
side of the "Venus Stone" in order to compare it to
images of large Holbrook stones with exposed,
weathered interior surfaces, but this is all that I
could find:

http://www.meteorman.org/Adamana.JPG

http://www.meteorite-times.com/Back_Links/2003/October/holbrook.jpg

http://www.meteorite-times.com/Back_Links/2004/December/holbrook.jpg