[meteorite-list] Which Chondrite Would Make a Good Sphere

From: David & Kitt Deyarmin <bobadebt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 22:36:10 -0500

For those of you that don't know me, I collect and make Meteorite Spheres, I got hooked last May and have been steadily building my collection.

My original goal was to get a sphere that represented each main class of the Irons (Fine, Medium and Coarse) and various Chondrites.

So far I have obtained or made the following spheres: Brahin, Gibeon, Campo, Seymchan and NWA 689. I never thought I would get a pallasite sphere but I got lucky.

I have a block of Dronino coming and I will use it to make the next sphere in my collection and I also recently purchased a ball Guang Dong Tektite that I'm going to test the sphere making process on, However, it's probably too small to produce a 50mm sphere. If I like the results I will have to locate a bigger sample to make a sphere for my collection.

So I'm going to be busy during the month of March, but I'm looking ahead.

I would like to make a few spheres out of some chondrite material but I don't know what material to use.

I have leads on a whole specimen of NWA 2828 and a nice sized Dimmitt but I'm not fully committed to either of these yet.

The NWA 2828 is very interesting but I am concerned that it will look a lot like my NWA 869 sphere. How is that possible you say? I soaked my sphere in phosphoric acid and it removed the weathered look so now it's color consists of various shades of gray with white and tan patches.

Greg Hupe was kind enough to send me a slice of NWA 2828 to get a better idea of the color and they each have a specific look but I still think they will be very close in appearance. UNLESS the NWA 2828 gets a lot darker when it's polished.

The Dimmitt is very affordable but its a very dark material and I'm not sure if it will make a nice sphere.

I have scoured the net but I really haven't found anything that caught my attention.

So I thought I would ask the list.

My target sphere size is 50mm so the donor specimen will have to be somewhat large.

I not made of money so it has to be affordable, I'll save the expensive stuff for later :)

If you know if a nice colorful material that you think might make a nice sphere please send an email to bobadebt at ec.rr.com