[meteorite-list] NEW LUNAR monzogabbro meteorite looks like a Shergottite

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:09:43 -0800 (PST)

I am not going to claim any authority in the area of
geology but I will claim a good experience of
Anorthosite, a principle constituent of the lunar
surface. The Isle of Harris, the next island down from
me [is actually connected to my island, Lewis, by a
land bridge] has an entire mountain made from the
stuff, despite it's rare nature and I've collected
plenty of it to decorate my garden.
It weathers by ice and abrasion to the same gorgeous
white colour of the genesis rock brought back by the
Apollo 15 crew. This is not surprising since their
rock was weathered on the outside too, but that stone
was impact weathered only.

Inside the rocks from harris they are remarkably
crystaline, quite grey in appearance and U took the
liberty of borrowing a lathe[?] to polish a small
section of a chunk i rather brutally chipped off with
a chisel. Apart from the colour, it looks very like a
piece of SAU008/005, a shergottite.

In all honesty and with hindsight, it does not
surprise me that a lunar meteorite may well look like
a martian one.

Anorthosite I believe, is a plutonic rock and since
most of the white part of the moon is made from it,
the only surpise to me, after thinking about it, is
that one that looks like a shergottite has not been
discovered before.

I suggest that aeons of impacts on the moon do not
leave big enough chunks near the surface to preserve
the structure of the rock and that is why we haven't
seen one before. Having said that, we've only really
been looking for a few years.
Meteorites have, at least the potential to come from
deeper than the long weathered surface materials
brought back by the Apollo crews. This all makes sense
to me, if it is a confirmed discovery.

In a differentiated body the size of the moon and
mars, I think, in retrospect, we should not be
surprised at all.

Obviously, if this turns out to be a hoax, I absolve
myself of all I have said here on the grounds that I
have never heard of monzogabbro before. Gabbro is just
a feldspar with less than 60% or is it 40%[?]
anorthosite. What the frip does monzo mean? I thought
he was a character in the muppet show.

Rob McC
{the man with a million tons of fake moon rock}

--- gipometeorites <carsten.giessler at t-online.de>

http://www.uwgb.edu/DutchS/PETROLGY/classification_of_igneous_rocks.htm.