[meteorite-list] some Japanese researchers question US Colorado fall

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 13:33:00 -0700

I think it's extremely unlikely that this was a natural object. The
location, velocity, and
time(http://www.cloudbait.com/science/fireball20070104.html) are
precisely as expected for the 29679 SL-4 rocket body. Also, if you've
seen the video caught by news helicopters, this really looks nothing
like a normal meteor. It is fragmenting into hundreds, maybe thousands
of pieces- as you would expect for a highly inhomogeneous object. This
is fragmenting far more than you see even in meteors with shallow paths
that break apart (Peekskill, our Colorado Oct 1 event, etc).

There is a report of debris on the ground in Wyoming; it will be
interesting to see if that gets confirmed.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com