[meteorite-list] Fw: Meteors Light Up Morning Sky in Colorado

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 17:18:10 -0700

Many people reported seeing the debris for over a minute. From my
cameras, I've got an average speed of about 8 km/s, at a nearly constant
height of 60 km. That's very consistent with space junk. I've updated my
ground path map at
http://www.cloudbait.com/science/fireball20070104.html to include
witness reports (the small black squares). Not surprisingly, the vast
majority of them were between Denver and Colorado Springs, and they were
seeing the meteor quite low in the sky. Some reported mountains or
clouds blocking the beginning or ending. The witnesses in western
Colorado tended to report the event lasting a minute or longer.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com