[meteorite-list] NJO ownership

From: MexicoDoug <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 01:27:05 -0600

"I am curious, it is physically possible for a meteorite to enter our
atmosphere so slow that it would fall without burning, no fireball, no
melting of the surface of the rock?"

Hello 001,
You mean shaken but not stirred? "Cool" question, on cool entry... Not in
any mood to think, so I vote NO, it nearly impossible unless JPL has
attached a remote control navigation booster module to it. The reason I
suspect it isn't likely is because:

1. if it were dropped in free fall for say 500 km the velocity being
acceleration (call that just 9 for fun) x time would speed it up to 3 km/s
on hitting dense atmosphere and that's getting pretty hot already. The
point being it would have much more than 500 km subject to relatively
frictionless acceleration.

2.if it were nearer to earth, we can assume it is in orbit or I don't know
how else it would get there unless Superman or some rogue nation plunked it
up there. We already know that an orbital vector gives us a schorching say
around 10 km/s entry.

3. and if it were like a rollercoaster coming from the other side of earth a
la 1972 fireball, but then somehow trapped and pulled back into Earth, to
beat the potential energy to get to the other side would definitely send it
far out (see 1 above before it yo-yoed back in gaining like a steamroller.
On the other hand if it went through a little atmosphere first and slowed
down and fell backwards in, maybe it wouldn't be incandescent on the final
fall, but the initial back side entry would have surely burned its way in on
initial approach...)

Maybe I've missed something, but that seems to cover it all,

Good health to cherish every moment, for all, in the New Year,
Doug