[meteorite-list] Fw: Meteors Light Up Morning Sky in Colorado

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 09:03:56 -0700

Hi Jos?-

There's no doubt that the vast majority of meteors last at most a few
seconds. But there is a class of fireballs which are usually seen in the
early evening, produced by low eccentricity prograde bodies. When these
bodies enter at a shallow angle, they can produce fireballs that are
seen for a good fraction of a minute, or even longer. Fireballs like
this, while rare, are still more common than reentering space junk
(especially large junk like the recent rocket body). So while it's
certainly true that reentering space junk is slow compared with the
average meteor, it isn't much slower than the average shallow fireball
witnessed over a wide area.

I think it would be very unusual for space junk to be seen for much
longer than a minute by any one observer (although a three minute path
is certainly possible, as it is also for a natural meteor). A piece of
debris with a three minute incandescent path will be quite high, and not
experiencing very high drag forces. It will have a path length of about
1200 km. That is too long for a single observer to see the entire thing.
It may burn for three minutes, but few are in a position to see all of
it.

When I saw the video for the Colorado event, I immediately thought
"reentry". The low speed was certainly a part of this, but the primary
indicator for me was the exact nature of the breakup. Even very fragile
meteoroids don't show the same degree of fragmentation this did. That's
not surprising, considering that any meteoroid is likely to be much more
homogeneous than a 10 meter long collection of sheet metal, pipes, nuts
and bolts! It was breaking into hundreds, maybe thousands of individual
fragments- something I've never seen in any natural fireball caught on
video.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory