[meteorite-list] Fw: some Japanese researchers question US Coloradofall

From: Jose Campos <josecamposcomet_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 10:26:35 -0000

RE: [meteorite-list] some Japanese researchers question US Colorado fallHi Robert Matson,

You have stated the issue quite clearly! Certainly, the video alone is a good evidence against it being a meteor.

I recall the wide publicity all over, given to SKYLAB re-entry in 1979. At that time, South Africa was listed by tle local news media, as a possible "target" and that generated some worries among some members of the public. A colleague of mine, Andrew Gray (A.S.S.A. Natal Centre), received quite a few phone calls from worried members of the public, among them, an old lady from Durban, who lived alone with her pet, wanted to know where would be the safest place for her to go, because she was worried about her cat...
Anyway, the space debris of SKYLAB fell over the Indian Ocean and some fell over Australia. Re-entries of this magnitude are indeed very rare.

Jos? Campos
Portugal