[meteorite-list] Sonic Boom Felt in Florida?

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:30:41 -0800 (PST)

http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=10529&z=3&p=

Was that an earthquake?
NBC2 News
January 10, 2007

LEE COUNTY: Our newsroom has been flooded with calls from residents who
felt an earthquake just before 10 a.m. According to the US Geological
Survey, there were no earthquakes that would have been felt in Southwest
Florida.

"If it is an earthquake, I suspect it's probably not, but if it is an
earthquake it's far too small for our instruments to detect. Our nearest
station is over near Disney World," said John Bellini of the USGS.

The USGS suggests it may have been a sonic boom over the Gulf of Mexico.

"Well, from what I've heard people describe, if it's not an earthquake,
the only other guess would be a sonic boom somewhere off the coast,
there in the Gulf," said Bellini.

There have been no reports of damage because of the tremors. Residents
from Collier County to Cape Coral have reported feeling something.

Collier County Emergency Management said they had confirmed there was an
earthquake at Apalachicola, but that was not correct.

Here are some of the comments we have received from viewers:

- I am not sure what happened, a little before 10am, the windows on my
home shook, there was no noise, just an abrupt shaking of windows that
lasted about 25 seconds. It even woke my dog and she started barking. We
live in Laguna Lakes off of Gladiolus. Any idea what caused this?

- At around 10 am Wednesday morning our building Collier Place II shook
violently for about 3 or 4 seconds - enough for everyone in the office
to ask if we had an earthquake. My husband at home 15 miles from our
office also felt the shaking and went outside to see if there had been
an explosion. Did we have an earthquake or is there some blasting going
on that could be felt for a 15 mile diameter?

- Nothing wakes our 16 yr old Yorkie-it was an earthquake! She came out
of her bed and looked at us like "what the [expletive deleted] is going
on?" Then our 3-panel lanai door started rattling. We live near I75 and
Colonial Blvd

- At about 9:50 AM all the windows in my house were rattling for about a
15 second period. My dog even started barking. Just curious if we had
another earthquake this morning?

- It shook our building!!

- I was sitting at the computer when I felt the shaking. I could not
believe what I was feeling. I live in the Villas off of #41 and Woodland
Blvd. About 30 to 45 seconds prior to the shaking my two dogs suddenly
started running around the house, looking out the windows, barking, etc.
and suddenly I felt the shaking. Then I had the TV on anyway, so I
figured if it was "something" the NEWS would tell us. I knew it was
different, just because the way the dogs were acting. They finally went
under the bed. Animals do "talk".

- I am originally from California and now live in the Naples, FL 34119
area code. This morning I felt what I thought was an earthquake -
California style. It happened at about 9:50 am and shook my whole house,
windows and all. It lasted for about 10+ seconds. I just read that there
are reports that it was probably a sonic boom. How can I get more info
on this?