[meteorite-list] A new french meteorite discovered !

From: Pelé Pierre-Marie <pierremariepele_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:24:47 +0100 (CET)

Me and Alain Carion are proud to announce the
existence of a "new" french meteorite.

The meteorite of Saint-Ouen-en-Champagne fell
September 29, 1799 near Le Mans (west of France). A
farmer saw a stone falling in front of him while he
was collecting grain. The stone was certainly broken
apart. It weighed about 4.6 kilograms but most of it
was forever lost. Alain Carion found a 12 grams
fragment in the J. Chadel collection he bought in
november 2006 and another piece of 40 grams was kept
in the Musee Vert of Le Mans where we met the curator
last week. Only two rare articles spoke of this fall
(in 1841 and 1881) ; that's the reason why its
existence was confidential.

It's an ordinary chondrite and it's still under
classification at the MNHN, Paris.

Alain Carion will show you its 12 grams fragment of
the Saint-Ouen-en-Champagne meteorite in Tucson (Inn
Suite, room 123) during the Show.

A chapter on this new french meteorite will probably
be added in the second edition of my book.

Pierre-Marie PELE
www.meteor-center.com

En finir avec le spam? Yahoo! Mail vous offre la meilleure protection possible contre les messages non sollicit?s
http://mail.yahoo.fr Yahoo! Mail