[meteorite-list] January Comet?

From: MexicoDoug <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:13:23 -0600

"Doug or anyone currently on line with position of the recent Comet, I'd
appreciate a head's up to locate it OR is it that conspicuous in the SW
twilight???"

For you Yanks near Plymouth and Boston, you can see it weather/pollution
permitting from 16:50 until it sets at 17:22. Use the Sunset as a
reference. That's today EST Jan 11.

At Your area: 16:36 the Sun sets at a 241 degree bearing (azimuth) clockwise
from North (270 is due west, so it is SW like you said). Good luck you have
just a few minutes to get out and bag it. The rest of the USA will have
similar positions relative to the point and timing of Sunset, though the
further deep down in Dixie you go the harder and harder and more compressed
the timing is...

Comet ("Turn Right at Sunset"):
244.5 degrees at Sunset (just 3.5 degrees to the right of Sunset point - a
half 10x50 binocular field away).
247 degrees at 15 minutes after Sunset (6 degrees right of Sunset point).
249 degrees at 30 minutes after Sunset (8 degrees right of Sunset point).

For Jerry comet altitude will be:
After Sunset
30 minutes: 2 degrees
15 Min: 4.5 degrees
0 min: 7 degrees

Good Luck, go for it, I might let you know how it went for me later, but
have had some sad heath issues lately to deal with (not my own). The
summary for my observing is "Changes in Attitudes, Changes in Latitudes"
like the Jimmy Buffett song says.

Best wishes for the Comet,
Doug