[meteorite-list] NWA 3159 - Vesicular, plutonic eucrite with (pre-)terrestrial crystals?

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 16:41:11 +0100

Gary, many thanks for the URL.
Breathtaking photos indeed

Bernd, I just cross my fingers the aggregate is not a simple sand grain
embedded into the vesicle. I don't want to play the bird for the ill omen
but this already happened to me...with some NWA, by definition found in
(sandy) desert.
Though in your case, the inclusion is really strange.
Did you just try to touch it with some tiny tweezers or pin, just to see
(under scope) whether it moves back and forth from its equilibrium position
? This sometimes (not always) happen with sand grains.
A spot analysis of the gran would help. Though the whole sample is far too
big for that doing. Detecting quartz would throw some doubt about the extra
terrestrial origin of the aggregate.
Bernd, knowing your care in examining all this closely, I am sure I am
wroing with my simplistic speculations.

Best wishes,

Zelimir

A 10:20 13/01/2007 -0500, Gary K. Foote a ?crit :