[meteorite-list] Meteorite-list Digest, Vol 38, Issue 64

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 08:46:35 -0700

It is rather unusual. Meteors happen equally day or night, but they are
far more likely to be seen at night. Only the brightest meteors can be
seen in the day, and only if people are looking up (which they usually
aren't). Meteors big enough to be seen in the day often have smoke
trails like you describe.

A meteor seen overhead which appears to descend to near ground level
(and which disappears behind trees or nearby hills) is actually very far
away at the end, probably hundreds of miles. No need to go meteorite
hunting in the local woods.

When and where did this happen?

Chris

Chris L Peterson