[meteorite-list] NWA 011 Pairing - NWA 4587

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 17:59:26 -0500

Hi Bernd and List,

Thank you Bernd for directing interested parties to David's web site. He
really does have a great deal of information regarding NWA 4587 noted. One
question that I have been asked a few times today is, "What are those
occasional dark inclusions within the orange matrix?" In an email I received
when I asked the scientists the very same question last month, this is the
reply, ""Based on our experience with NWA 2400 and NWA 2976, the large black
grains
in the slice of GH-231 (NWA 4587) you sent is chromite and ilmenite..."
Scientists at the University of Washington will be probing those dark
inclusions for further study soon, so perhaps something new will be gleaned
by studying larger samples provided by the 530-gram NWA 4587 stone. If we
learn more, I will report back here with any additional information.

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection