[meteorite-list] Mysterious Lights Reported in North Carolina & Tennessee

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 08:26:28 -0800 (PST)

http://www.fox21.com/Global/story.asp?S=5987366&nav=2KPp

Mysterious lights reported Wednesday night
FOX Carolina News
January 25, 2007

GREENVILLE, S.C.- Last night, blue and green lights were spotted in the
sky around eight o'clock Wednesday night. People from all across the
upstate and western North Carolina reported seeing the light streak
through the sky toward the ground.

Sheriff's offices in Greenville, Pickens and Spartanburg counties say
they received dozens of calls reporting the lights.

One of our viewers wrote in to tell us what she saw. She writes:

    "I was traveling on Michelin boulevard at the intersection of
    highway 24 when I saw what I thought was a small plane heading for
    the runway of Anderson county airport. I realized quickly that it
    was not a plane but appeared to be something falling. I thought
    maybe a meteorite."

We still don't know exactly what the strange lights were, but we'll keep
you updated.

Doug Geger, with the Roper Mountain Science Center, would like to hear
from anyone who saw the lights on Wednesday night. He can be reached at
864.355.8912 or zeppgui at bellsouth.net .

If you have any pictures of the mysterious lights, please e-mail them to
us at foxcarolinanews at foxcarolina.com .

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/strange/news-article.aspx?storyid=74358

What Was That Thing? East Tennesseans Report Strange Light in the Sky
By Jake Jost
WBIR-TV (Knoxville, Tennessee)
January 25, 2007

KNOXVILLE, TN -- Numerous East Tennesseans reported seeing a bright
green light streak through the sky Wednesday night. Police dispatchers
said they got so many calls, they didn't have time to count them.

Reports on its direction of travel varied somewhat. Most accounts on its
shape and color reported it being blue-green with a comet-like tail, and
many callers to WBIR were surprised by the size of it.

WBIR's own Steve Phillips saw the light as he returned from dinner and
said it was larger than he expected a meteor to be.

Professor Paul Lewis didn't see the event himself, but from people's
description, he expects it was a meteor.

"It's entirely possible that it could be a piece of space debris," he
said. "Or, as I suspect, it's probably a piece of junk out of some
asteroid belt, a rocky meteor, for instance."

Lewis went on to explain that if it were a meteor, it was likely alone.
East Tennessee won't see another meteor shower until April 22nd. He
added that the only way to know with absolute certainty what the object
was would be if NORAD had been tracking it.

Special thanks to George Smith for sending us the picture.