[meteorite-list] Fireball on the east coast

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:40:59 -0500

Some good quotes here (or quots, as per the article). I'm right in the area
where this was seen. I should stand outside more often.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/local/16544728.htm

"A bluish green ball traveling at a fast speed'
Observer Staff Report

Reader descriptions of the mysterious lights:

"While driving on I-485 last night (between Providence Road & Matthews), a
little before 8:00 pm, I saw an eerie greenish blue object soaring through the
sky. It almost looked like it was a flare, but it was the wrong color. It was
kind of creepy. It broke apart into two smaller sections, and it was falling so
fast, I thought it was going to crash. I never saw anything else, but I
definitley saw something last night."

"I was standing outside on my balcony and I saw what I thought was a plane then
it flashed green and looked like a plane burning up and then it disappeared. Is
this what others saw?"

"While standing talking to other parents while our boys were at soccer practice,
we saw the greenish-blue lights in the sky. I thought it was a shooting star &
made a wish. Some other parents thought it was an airplane. Even my son, who was
on the soccer field noticed it, and he said he thought it was a shooting star
too."

"My wife and children were with me last night, we were driving on Highway 74 in
Gastonia. It was about 7:45 PM, and we were driving to Chic-Fil-A to get dinner
after Church. I glanced out my left window (towards I-85, near Home Depot) and
noticed a large bright green ball, it had the same appearance as an airplane
does when it is flying directly towards you (when the lights are focused), but
it was moving very slowly, and staying relatively the same height, and had a
haze about it (which I guess was caused by the cloud cover). I have seen
meteorites before, and am familiar with how they move, but this light moved very
slowly. My wife and 4 children saw it as well. Wish I had my camera with me at
the time!"

"My husband and I saw what appeared to be a bluish green ball traveling at a
fast speed last night (Wednesday, January 24) around 8:55 PM. We were sitting at
the traffic light at Wilgrove Mint Hill Road and Albemarle Road. This
intersection is near Wilgrove Airport so we turned and went toward the airport
to see if it was an airplane attempting to land. The light was traveling too
fast and at an awkward angle for a plane to land safely. When were arrived at
the airport about one minute after seeing the light there were not any planes on
the runway. We were not sure what we saw but we are glad to know we were not the
only ones to see it."

{quot}My kids and I were coming home after church last night in the Matthews
area. We did see a greenish like light low in the sky, we really thought a small
plane or helicopter was going to crash at first. This was around 8:00pm. We
watched as it went down, I was even waiting for a crash, but ofcourse there
wasn't one. We didn't 911, but I can't wait to tell the kids when they get home
from school that we weren't the only ones who saw it. Wish we did get a
picture.{quot}

{quot}I am not the type to believe in super-natural phenomenon but I saw
something last night.

While I was driving down Catawba Ave. in Cornelius around 7p.m. last night, I
noticed a really bright light in the sky and it disappeared within seconds. I
assumed that it was a airplane since there are flight paths over our town. This
light seemed brighter than a plane though.{quot}

{quot}My wife and I were leaving our development off of Rocky River rd last
night around 8:00.I looked to the sky and saw a blue/green light.It quickly
disappeared.Both myself and my wife saw it and thought maybe it was some type of
flare.{quot}

{quot}I was on 77 around 8 pm last night and I was just passing under th
overpass for the exit before 85 and I saw a green light that that was dropping
to Earth heading my direction. I saw it for a couple of seconds, and then just
like fireworks, it started to blink and then dissapeared. I saw something very
similar about 3 years ago over the Bi-Lo on Prosperity Church road. It was a
bright green light that just fell to Earth.{quot}

Read tomorrow's Charlotte Observer for more details on this developing story.