[meteorite-list] Potter: RFS Picture of the Day - January 27, 2007

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 17:30:05 -0500

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:52:39 -0600, you wrote:

>I do not see a disagreement with what you wrote and what is in Nininger?s
>book. This leads me to suspect that Dirk is using FAFS as a reference. No
>reference is noted so if I am wrong, please correct me Dirk.

>The difference in the two accounts is that Nininger says in the book that he
>met that brother-in-law at a Colorado truck stop, while the article says
>that the McKinney?s were referred to Nininger by a local guy.

Differences include Nininger's book saying it was the brother-in-law that ran
into Nininger and not the son-in-law, as Dirk said. Also, the detail of "using
some to hold down a disc plow" doesn't appear in Nininger's book or the
newspaper article (which I had looked at before). Both of which imply to me
that Dirk has first-hand information that disagrees with (and expands on) the
Nininger book and the newspaper article. Not to mention that googling the name
of the two farmers lead to a post Dirk made on a different mailing list (that is
still archived and indexed by Google) that shows that he original finder gave
pieces of Potter to Dirk himself, and thus was alive to tell him his side of the
story directly. No need for him to rely on secondary sources:

 http://lists.drizzle.com/pipermail/rockhounds/2005-August/013616.html

Therefore, I believe that Dirk (through direct access to the finder) had it
right, and both the newspaper article and Nininger (husband or wife) had it
wrong in the details that do not agree. (Dirk, you wanna step into this?)