[meteorite-list] Sad news.. Robert Hutchison has died.

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:46:52 -0000

Rob Elliott has asked me to forward this sad news to the list?.

Sad news indeed.

To: britishandirishmeteoritesociety at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [britishandirishmeteoritesociety] Sad news

I've just received a very sad email from my friends at the Open University:
?
<< Hi Rob, I am emailing with some very sad news?. Bob Hutchison died on Friday morning. We are all very shocked as we new he was ill but he was one of those people that seemed to be going forever. He was even writing a paper on chondrule formation while he was in hospital over Christmas. He came back home again, even spoke with Monica about coming in to the OU to work on Hambleton some more but unfortunately he deteriorated and had to go back into hospital and never recovered >>
Many of you will know Robert Hutchison as?a past meteorite curator at the NHM, joint author of the 4th edition Catalogue of Meteorites, a top meteoriticist, and highly respected meteorite guru of our time.
I first met Bob many years ago,?during my earliest visit to the Natural History Museum, London, circa 1997. Monica Grady showed me around and introduced me to many people in various rooms & labs?along the long corridors. Names and faces started to blur after so many introductions, but while shaking hands with an older meteoriticist sitting at the microscope, my ears picked up when?Monica introduced him?as Robert Hutchison. I immediately exclaimed something like "Wow! Robert Hutchison!!" and excitedly shook his hand again. I felt a bit foolish about it afterwards, but....
I got to know Bob over the following years, and despite taking up huge amounts of his time (actually, his retirement time) with thousands of meteorite questions, Bob was always pleased to help with detailed explanations,?and thoroughly passionate about his subject, for which I'm very grateful.
He'll be sadly missed.
?
Rob Elliott
www.meteorites.uk.com