[meteorite-list] Is this a FAKE pallasite, why?

From: ken newton <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:12:23 -0500

Hi Miss Ma Lan,
First the page does not say it is a fake, only that it is 'suspect', the
page header says:
Anyone can make a claim that they have found or own an authentic
meteorite. It is entirely another matter to offer satisfactory proof of
verification or classification from a Meteoritical Society approved
institution. The photos below link to suspect meteorites. In the opinion
of this author, these auctions may lack either proper verification,
credible history or photo, or reasonable supposition to qualify. This
does not mean that they are not meteorites, only 'suspect' in the
opinion of this author." I am the page author and my reasons for deeming
it 'suspect' are:

The auction in question:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230078449668
The only classification description given is "small cube cut of
Meteorite from Minsk, Belarus, Russia....Stoney-iron pallasite." There
is no record that it has been classified or published in the Metbul
(http://tin.er.usgs.gov/meteor/metbull.php). However, it may be a
properly tested meteorite and its classification has yet to be recorded.
Or it may be a fake. To me, it is suspect.

Just because you see olivine does not necessarily mean it is a
meteorite. For example (Shirokovsky- also 'Russia'):
http://www.encyclopedia-of-meteorites.com/photos/Shirokovsky.jpg.
Shirokovsky is a manufactured wrong. Thus proper classification and not
just visual inspection is important.

Miss Ma Lan, I applaud your efforts to learn more about meteorite
identification. China needs many more honest sellers like yourself. Most
of the wrongs on eBay at this moment are from China sellers. Their scams
do injury to all collectors and dealers.
http://imca.cc/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=114

Best,
Ken Newton
http://home.earthlink.net/~magellon/mepage.html