[meteorite-list] Fourth of July and Colby (Wisconsin)

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 04 Jul 2007 15:07:54 UT

I would like to wish all of our American list members happy, safe and
peaceful Independence Day celebrations with the Colby (Wisconsin)
L6 (S3; veined) chondrite. Two stones fell 1917, July 4th, 18:20 hrs
after the appearance of a luminous meteor with a trail of black smoke,
moving from NW. to SE., and detonations.

Off-topic:

Such a day brings back memories from my early childhood days here in
post-war Germany. Chocoloate or chewing gum were something that
we could only dream of. My mother's sister was going for a walk with
me and when we were walking past the American military prison here in
Mannheim, my hometown, there was a friendly smile from an American
prison guard up on his watchtower and down came a bar of Cadbury
chocolate and Wrigley's chewing gum. I will never forget these shining
teeth (the sentinel was a black American!) and that friendly smile on his
face and I think he is one of those to be "blamed" :-) for my life-long
sympathy for everything American.

Best Fourth of July
wishes from Germany,

Bernd