[meteorite-list] Smithsonian Meteorites

From: greg stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 09:38:51 -0700 (PDT)

Tett:

  Very nice pictures; yes, it would be nice if the Smithsonian would post some pics of their meteorite and mineral collection. But of course, you just have to go there and see it. This brings back memories, as I grew up in the Rockville/Gaithersburg area of Maryland. I used to visit the museums quite a bit,

  Thanks for posting.

  Just to let you know ? I?ve been to Drumheller a few times and have visited the Museum there, I tell you, it?s worth the cost to get it, I fantastic museum.

  Enjoy the Great White North,

  Thanks,

  Greg S.

tett <tett at rogers.com> wrote:
  Happy Canada Day List!

Last week I enjoyed a wonderful time in Washington and was able to see many
sites including the Lincoln Memorial, Arlington Cemetery, The Vietnam War
memorial and many more. On this trip we also saw the Luray Caverns and
Gettysburg.

Of course, we also enjoyed some of the Smithsonian Museums. This is a
tremendous institution and I was so pleased to see that the displays are
free to the public so all could enjoy these national treasures. I am a firm
believer that State and National Museums should be free so anyone can study
and enjoy science and art treasures without having to pay for it. This is
the same premise behind the public library system. Last time I took my
family to the Royal Ontario Museum we spent well over $100 entrance fees!

I went to the Smithsonian web site and could not find any pictures from
there meteorite collection so I thought I would share a few of mine.

here you will see some incredible meteorites including:

-A gorgeous flow marked Lafayette
-ALH84001! Martian meteorite once thought to have fossilized life forms.
-Huge Paragould individual with a nice polished face.

Also shown is my friend Ernie touching a piece of Mars. In the acrylic box
is a slice of Nakla. Ernie is a life long friend who was the principal of
my grade school 40 years ago when I was in kindergarten. We now love to
travel together to study history and politics from different places. I am
looking forward to our trek along the Pilgrim's Trail this fall in Southern
England.

Please enjoy these photos and if you want larger images just email me.

Cheers,

Mike Tettenborn

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=2sgymb4f.advl194n&Uy=r5kav9&Ux=0

Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.