[meteorite-list] Analysis Wanted

From: Randy Korotev <korotev_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:29:25 -0500

Jake:

If you want a chemical analysis, as opposed to a
petrographic or isotopic analysis, I have been
sending people who contact me with meteorwrongs to Actlabs:

http://www.actlabs.com/home.htm

Have Actlabs do analysis code 4-litho:

http://www.actlabs.com/gg_rock_litho_usa.htm

That service costs $60/sample but there's an
extra charge of $16 for pulverizing the sample
(if you haven't done it). They request 5 grams
of material because it takes a lot of material to
do LOI (loss on ignition), which is a measure of
how much water and CO2 are driven off when the
sample is heated to a high temperature. LOI
isn't needed for meteorite identification, but it
is still useful because when LOI is high, the
sample is probably NOT a meteorite. Actlabs can
do the 4-litho analysis on as little as 0.2 g of
material if you request "no LOI."

Over the past 2 years, I've recieved 37 Actlabs
reports. In each case I've been able to say to
the finder with 99+% certainty (my opinion!)
"This rock does not have the composition of any
known type of meteorite but the composition is
consistent with some kinds terrestrial
rocks." Then I point them toward my page of
meteorite and meteorwrong compositions so they can check themselves:

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/metcomp/index.htm

As I say on that page (big cop-out), I can state
to my satisfaction that a rock is not a meteorite
based on the Actlabs report, but if it's a
terrestrial rock, I can't identify the actual
rock type from the chemical analysis.

If the rock IS a meteorite, it is also true that
the Actlabs report itself would probably not be
sufficient to identify the meteorite
type. Meteorite identification is done mainly by
petrography, and I don't know any place in the U.
S. that routinely does that (well) on a fee basis
for unsolicited samples. (Someone correct me if
I'm wrong.) On the basis of just the chemical
composition, I think that I could not
unambiguously tell an L from an LL chondrite, but
I could tell a lunar meteorite from an
eucrite. With the chemical composition in hand,
it will be a lot easier to get a real meteorite
petrographer to look at your rock. Meteorite typing requires petrography.

I have no personal stake in Actlabs, but the
owner and I have met because we both do neutron
activation analysis. Actlabs does it cheaper and
faster and also uses other techniques to get the
concentrations of 55 chemical
elements. Unfortunately, the 4-litho suite does
not include any PGE (platinum group elements)
except nickel. That's a non-issue when it's a
terrestrial rock, but if the rock is some kind of
chondrite, it's nice to have Ir, Au, etc. For extra $, Actlabs will do PGEs.

Randy Korotev