[meteorite-list] Bogota Columbia meteor, loud and bright.

From: Joe <kerchner420_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:22:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hello list,

   A good friend of mine called me at work the other day just to tell me about a large meteor that was witnessed by at least a few people. He told me that his wife was on the phone with a close friend that now lives in Bogot? Columbia. Her friend got distracted by a very bright flash and a loud boom. I think it was more likely a sonic boom that the sound if it hitting something, she also described it as much brighter than lightning and lit it up like daylight. She said it landed between her home and a mountain. I am not too clear on the details such as how far away the mountain is or even the time. I will get as much info on it as possible really soon.

   I was wondering if anyone has heard anything of it or if we might has some members from the area who may have been lucky enough to see it. I am looking on any info on it that may assist the wittiness in recovering it, so we can all get us a piece from the newest fall in our collections.

  As for the date I am not exactly sure, yet. All I know is that it was between July 1st and July 7th I have the guy trying to find out as much as he can about it from the wittinesses them selfs, there is at least 5 that we know of so far. The only problem with that is they were all on the same property. Just as soon as I get anymore info I will share it with the list and hopefully we have members in the area that could possibly recover it.

Happy Hunting,

Joe Kerchner

http://illinoismeteorites.com - Website

http://illinoismeteorites.com/yabb/YaBB.pl - Meteorite Forum