[meteorite-list] 'Iridium Flares'

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 08:50:07 -0700 (MST)

Hi Kevin:

The Heavens Above website (www.heavens-above.com) lets you predict the
times and locations of Iridium flares. With 66 satellites (3 groups with
similar orbits), I would doubt that it was the same satellite each time.
The site gives you all the info about each flare, but. You can go "back in
time" to find out what you saw (only 48 hours). You need to input your
location (they have a large list of cities) to choose from.

Yes, it is strictly location and timing. Its all done with mirrors! Think
of the old heliographs that used mirrors and the sun to communicate long
distances (early cell phones). You have to be in the right place (a few
kilometers of the path) and the satellite has to be in the sunlight (in
its orbit), for you to see a flare. I think that each satellite has three
large (more than a meter square) antennas that are highly reflective and
so are really good mirrors for creating the flares if you are in the right
location.

I hope this helps.

Larry

On Tue, July 17, 2007 8:28 pm, kevin decker wrote:
> Hello List,
> I've a question about Iridium Flares,For the past 3 nights I've noticed
> a satelite passing overhead that "flares" at the same spot in the night
> sky.It's general heading is from N,N.W. to S,S.E,Tonight,there was one
> going the opposite way,in that same spot that "flared" exactly like the
> one going the other way.How is that possible?Is it my relative position
> to the satelite?....Best Regards..
>

> Kevin W.L.Decker
>

> See what you?re getting into
before you go there