[meteorite-list] Rocks From Space Picture of the Day - July 18, 2007

From: Impactika at aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:50:53 EDT

In a message dated 7/18/2007 3:36:51 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
mark at annasach.net writes:
I was also lucky enough to buy a small piece from Mirko.

I've never seen anything like it, I'd love suggestions as to what it's
classification or history might be...?

Mark

bernd.pauli at paulinet.de wrote:

>http://www.spacerocksinc.com/July_18_2007.html
>
>Anita enthusiastically wrote:
>
>Wow! That sure is one showy little meteorite!
>I think it may be my favorite of the whole year.
>
>.. as did Dave Carothers: "WOW!!!!! Very Nice."
>
>Yes, that's a very intriguing new iron meteorite. I can hardly wait for the
>classification results - surely something "anomalous" and/or "ungrouped,"
>maybe even artificially "reheated" and/or "severely disturbed and shocked!"

I agree, I have never seen anything like it either.
It is presently being studied and classified by the University of Arizona in
Tucson. And you can read more about it and more pictures on Svend's site:
_http://www.niger-meteorite-recon.de/en/meteoriten_verkauf.htm_
(http://www.niger-meteorite-recon.de/en/meteoriten_verkauf.htm)

And if you are anxious to have your own slice to hold and admire, you will
just have to wait a bit longer. The remaining mass (No, not the 200 kilos, the
finder has absolutely refused to sell that, just what Svend had!) is getting
cut/polished/etched in Germany before traveling to Colorado. I might even
have it for the September Show.
Of course, I am taking "reservations"!

Anne M. Black
www.IMPACTIKA.com