[meteorite-list] Smallest Possible Earth Impact Crater?

From: Charles O'Dale <codale0806_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 09:58:50 -0400

I am seeking advice on a "small" problem. I am trying to determine what the smallest possible impact crater on earth would be. In other words, we have to determine the smallest size of a bolide that would impact earth at cosmic velosities (>12 km/sec) to create such a structure. Or, the largest size of a bolide that would be slowed to terminal velosity by our atmosphere (and not creating a "crater").

The answer may help in adding information to the "enigma" of the Merewether structure, could it be an impact related crater?

http://epod.usra.edu/archive/epodviewer.php3?oid=315776

Chuck
http://www.ottawa.rasc.ca/articles/odale_chuck/earth_craters/index.html