[meteorite-list] Cali meteorite fall trajectory and offset ofdamage.

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 11:40:07 -0600

As I've noted often in the past, it requires very unusual conditions for
a meteorite to retain any of its horizontal velocity component when it
reaches the ground. The conditions of the Cali fall wouldn't seem to
support this. These lightweight stones may have had a slight north to
south angle because of the low level winds, or they may simply have been
deflected on impact. You don't have enough samples to say with any
certainty. But it is certainly the case that <100 g stones one minute
past a terminal explosion are falling with a horizontal airspeed of
essentially zero.

If these fell within 30 seconds of a terminal explosion, occurring at
less than 10,000 feet height, some forward velocity would likely remain.
Any chance of that?

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory