[meteorite-list] Re-2: Cali meteorite fall trajectory and offsetofdamage.

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 14:18:46 -0600

Yes, my thoughts are in the same general direction. I don't have any
good sense of the mechanism by which energy is coupled into a falling
meteorite in such a way as to actually produce an explosion capable of
blowing off pieces at high speed (rather than just disrupting the
object). So I'm thinking more along the lines of a large component
surviving deep enough into the atmosphere that it could break apart
above the strewn field at a low height (like Sikhote-Alin). It may have
been slow enough by then (although still hypersonic) to not produce any
sort of stunning overhead display, or the much more impressive display
to the north may have still been a distraction.

In any case, small fast objects do suggest a particularly large parent.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com