[meteorite-list] Cali chondrite fell extremely cold!

From: Mal Bishop <magbish3_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:59:31 -0400

Replying to Chris' email regarding Canyon Diablo, Mike and Cali, et al, I,
just by happenstance, found this information regarding Barringer Meteorite
Crater (aka Meteor Crater)
relating to the destructive effects of the impact. It describes the
results of the impact on the local topography, biosphere, etc. I never saw
this particular
site before for some reason, maybe some others on this list haven't
either. On the other hand, there are probably many of you on the list who
are aware
of it -- if this was posted previously within the past few months or so,
forgive me.

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/SIC/impact_cratering/Enviropages/Barringer/barringerstartpage.html

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/SIC/impact_cratering/Enviropages/wildfires.html

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/SIC/impact_cratering/Enviropages/Barringer/Megafauna.html

I found this map most interesting and informative ( I need visual aids <g>
):
http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/SIC/impact_cratering/Enviropages/Barringer/effectsmappage.html
It pictorially demonstrates the affect impact/blast had on local environment

I initially was doing some research on the local environment of northern
Arizona as it was some 50,000 years ago before and after the 50 meter
impactor made its presence
known. It just makes me shudder just a little every time when I really
take the time to ponder something like this impacting us today, in or near
any populated area, let alone something on the magnitude of what struck
some 65 million years ago on the Yucatan Peninsula.

Well anyway, some more info for either your archived reference files, or
your "file 13" (also known as the circular file). The choice is yours. :-)

Best regards,
Mal