[meteorite-list] Rosetta Stone Analogy

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 17:04:28 -0700

on 6/3/07 3:16 PM, Darren Garrison at cynapse at charter.net wrote:
> I don't see why calling it A "Rosetta stone" (not THE "Rosetta stone") is a
> "marketing term", as much as a description of the significance of the find.
> Now, "hammer stone", THAT is just a marketing term to me, because where a
> meteorite lands and what it hits has no scientific value or importance
> whatsoever.
--------
Hi Darren,
        The derivation of "hammer stone" is a bastardization of "hammer,"
a name I coined in reference to meteorites that "nailed" something. Rather
than "a marketing ploy," it was more along the lines of having fun, like
calling Valera "the Venesualen Butcher." (a name coined by ET who did
NOT own any of the material, therefore, could in no way be accused of using
the term as "a marketing ploy."
          I have also referred to hammers as "bashers, maulers, crushers,
beaters, etc .... a real 'Murderers' Row' of the meteorite world," because
of the delight they bring me, rather than "a marketing ploy."
        As for "scientific value" being used as a criterion for validating
such terminology, that implies that all collectors collect BECAUSE of the
scientific significance of meteorites - or at least they SHOULD collect for
said reason. In fact, many collect based ONLY on witnessed falls, others
on geographic "touchdown," others on esthetic appeal, etc. Just who is it
that heads the Supreme Court of "legitimate" interest in meteorites?
        As for naming NWA meteorites, it seams to me there have been
precious few, starting, I believe with "Twisted Sister" ..... again,
something I believe was inspired by appreciation rather than profit motive,
while two separate falls have been referred to as "the Rosetta Stone" - both
have scientific origins and merit.
        However, I am always amazed at the cynicism of such a large segment
of the collecting community when it comes to such things. Too bad, it does
seam phenomenally ironic that some of the more playful lot of collectors can
be found among dealers, themselves, while so many other collectors find all
their actions suspicious and are ready to hold them in contempt at every
step.
        So, go ahead, mean while I will delight in my own collection of
hammers (by the way, I find the term, "hammer stone" most unappealing -
at best).
        Best wishes, Michael