[meteorite-list] Rusty droplets

From: Pete Pete <rsvp321_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 08:12:35 -0400

Mark wrote:
..."Iso-alcohol (pure ethanol)"...

Hi, all,

I'm not a chemist, but the way you wrote that, it might be misinterpreted by
some to identify Isopropyl alcohol is the same as Ethanol, which it's not.
The connection to each other is that both have been referred to as "rubbing
alcohol".

Cautions when using either with meteorites:

Don't use the 70% isopropyl - the 30% is water, which is what you want to
avoid. I use the 99% isopropyl and 95% ethanol without any ill effect seen
on the stones.

They are more flammable in these purer forms, so ventilate!

The fumes of isopropyl are poisonous! Ventilate.

Cheers,
Pete