[meteorite-list] Seven Plagues and Killer Meteorites

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 15:51:18 -0400

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 15:27:36 -0400, you wrote:

>It seems to me the History Channel or TLC, maybe even Discovery Channel, one
>of them, cover all the plagues and they were/are natural yearly events that
>the ancient peoples of Egypt lived with. Why turn them into fables and
>myths?

But that's all a form of apologetics. It is looking far and wide to try to find
an explanation that COULD be true, and trying to give it as an explanation for
an event. Yes, sometimes there are locusts in Egypt. Sometimes frogs in Egypt.
Sometimes kids die in Egypt. Rivers could possbily turn red in Egypt from
dinoflagellates or some such. People could get boils. But how meaningful is
that? Of course there can be natural reasons be given for described conditions
and not just an entirely new malody be made up from pure imagination (nobody
claimed a plague of attacks of three headed talking cariboo, after all). What
is in question is-- did that series of "plagues" happen in that order, close
together, after having a guy tell a pharoh that if he didn't release the
Israelites they would happen? Did he then release the Israelites, who parted
the Sea of Reeds, after which that pharoh and his army was wiped out? THAT is
what "historical accuracy" is about, not wherther or not problems described are
actual problems that can take place.

Let's shift it forward a bit. A few thousand years. Say that the alarmists are
right, major global warming happens, and all costal cities are wiped out. All
the evidence future archeologists have for the existance of New York is a copy
of the movie Spiderman. Scholars debate on wherther Spiderman is a historical
figure or just a mythical hero. Then, one year, some divers find the ruins of
Manhattan. New York was real! Does that, then, prove that Spiderman was a
historical figure? After all, it turns out that there really was a New York,
and Spiderman was supposed to live in New York...