[meteorite-list] Seven plagues and killer meteorites

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 22:47:11 -0700 (PDT)

Darren -

"unsubstantiated, fringe pseudoscience (which
if it finds a REAL impact it will be like a blind
squirrel finding a nut) and then pass it along in
other writings or tell it to people, who then pass it
around..."

Your points about the difficulties in working with
myth materials are well taken. That is why I
generally didn't bother with them, particuarly in the
cases where contemporary written accounts existed,
along with physical evidence. Then myths may be
examined for both their formation and transmission
mechanisms, and/or they may cautiously be used to try
to throw additional light on proto-historical periods.

However, in the Americas one encounters a different
situation. Native American oral "traditions" had
somewhat different transimission mechanisms than those
for myths in Europe and the ancient Near East. Even
given this, any understandings of them must be checked
against the archaeological, geological, and
paleo-climate records.

The reason why my "psuedo-science" is passed around by
many is because they have examined it and found it to
be about as rigorous as possible given the
difficulties involved in doing this kind of work.

In the end, one thing is certain: If you do not hunt,
you will find nothing.

good hunting,
E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas