[meteorite-list] $1,000,000 buy-it-now Martian meteorites!

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 16:32:15 +0200

I like that type of auctions, or at least one aspect of them,
cause they represent the conception a layman (fraudulent or not) has about
the value of a stone from Mars or Moon,
which theoretically seems to be more adequate than the actual prices paid
for.

Look, there are less than 95kg Mars on Earth.
For visualization try out this link, where you can see a somewhat moderate
trained guy lifting a 100kg stone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub2FOG9FA2w

That's it! More Mars doesn't exist on Earth since 300 years of meteoritics,
50 years of space flight, 30 years of Antarctic campaigns.

Therefore it's well-nigh grotesque that e.g. we're offering our Janus-stone,
the best Martian of it's size found ever, at a price of a mid-range car.
Or that lunaites are going at 1000 or 2000 bucks per gram.
And in fact we can be happy, that meteorite collecting is a likewise small
niche, else the collectors would have to pay indeed astronomical prices :-)

Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----