[meteorite-list] Sweden meteorite-hunt , 2007

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 14:00:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,
Team America has landed in Sweden and all of us have
finally found meteorites! As you saw in the pic of the
day, Robert, Greg and Devin all found meteorites
yesterday, and after 3 days, I was getting desperate
as the only team-member without a treasure. Tonight
was the night though, I found a ~2 kilogram piece
surrounded by every mosquito in the Arctic!
   The hunting up here has gotten much harder, after
so many hunters in the last 6 years, the meteorites
seem to be drying up. Still plenty to find, but the
terrain severely limits access to good hunting
grounds. Endless bogs, lakes, and rivers block every
point of entry. Right now is midsummer, and there is
absolutely no darkness, 24 hour sunlight, so many of
us are hunting whenever we want to, 4 am, 4pm, it is
all the same, but psychologically a little tough to
deal with. Unlike last year's hunt, it seems this year
has been good for the production of mosquitoes, black
fly, gnats, spiders, and every other creature that
sucks blood or takes chunks of flesh at will. We
bought 4 cans of insect repellent and that lasted all
of 3 days! Tomorrow we have to make a trip to Finland
to buy more protection, it was impossible tonight to
fend them off once the sweat caused the spray to wear
off. There is also the bear threat, as they just woke
up from hibernation and no berries are ripe yet. We
have found many reindeer carcasses, the ones who were
not fast enough, so all of us are keeping watch for
that little danger.
There are also already many blisters, twisted ankles,
poked eyes and Devin Schrader woke up at about 4 am
this morning with a large spider chewing on his arm.
He thought he was dreaming about a mosquito then woke
up to a new nightmare. Anyway, all of us are excited,
exhausted, and ready for 15 more days of romping
through the forest searching for treasure.
More reports on Muonionalusta expedition 2007 soon.
Michael Farmer