[meteorite-list] NEW LUNAR monzogabbro meteorite looks like aShergottite

From: Thaddeus Besedin <endophasy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 01:36:33 -0800 (PST)

Weathering processes on the moon are primarily related to solar and impact processes, so mantle material, as well as intrusive monzogabbroic material equivalent to mugearitic rock in extrusive terrestrial contexts will have been present on the lunar surface in variable concentrations in respect to magnitude of impact, although relationships of impact intensity to depth of specific geologic materials is not determinate, since plutonic bodies of mafic composition are not restricted to any depth on earth at all times, and basaltic extrusive expressions of chemical compositions rich in ferromagnessian minerals (noritic and gabbroic rock) are exceedingly common here. This new lunar material seems to be hypabyssal macroscopically, which may account for the reported subjective responses of certain members of the meteoritical community of similarity to shergottites, which are related to extrusive and hypabyssal intrusive activity on mars.

Martin Altmann <altmann at meteorite-martin.de> wrote: Hi Rob,

".. Meteorites have, at least the potential to come from
deeper than the long weathered surface materials
brought back by the Apollo crews. This all makes sense
to me, if it is a confirmed discovery."

You're right Rob,

For example the pairing group around Dho 310-breccias has some spinel,
indicating that those parts of the breccia stem from the deeper lunar crust
(>20km), see here:
http://www.meteorites.ru/menu/publication-e/demidova-ms2003-e.pdf

Or take the fresher granulite NWA 3163/4483, which is suggested to be a
crustal rock, practically not sampled by the Apollo missions:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2006/pdf/1365.pdf

Best
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----