[meteorite-list] Not Proud of Tom

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 03:50:34 -0800

Moni's post I found most interesting of all,
        I like it / I don't like it.
        Hmmmm..... sounds like it is the way you look at it. And most
certainly, everyone has a right to look at things their own way. I
might look at that cannon and think, "Why, that's DISGUSTING!
That cannon killed people and now someone is using it to demonstrate
the effect of high velocity shrapnel and how it can closely resemble
the venerable Sikhote-Aline meteorites!" OR, one could look at it the
way the person who presented it does.
        I, personally, found the Meteorite Blog a sewer and was highly
offended that someone was making obscene posts to it using my name.
I immediately stopped going there - this was about 2 hrs into its
existence. For all I know it is still going strong. I don't know - I don't
care. I stopped going there. It is none of my business if other people like
it or not.
        I was one of the first to be lampooned by Proud Tom - and fairly
heavily so. I laughed until it hurt. Others, some of whom I respected
a great deal found it offensive when they were lampooned. I don't get
it, but that is their right. Chicago Steve's response was one of the things
endeared him to me. Say what you like, he can laugh at himself.
        I find it interesting that most of the positive responses have been
sent to me privately and all of the negatives were posted to the list, even
though I explicitly asked for positives only, pointing out that 1) the
negatives have a choice - don't go to his site and 2) if there were a lack
of any positive response I assume Proud Tom would find it not worth
his while to post a web page.
        To liken his humor to use of the "N word" is absurd. As I said, he
poked fun at me as vigorously as he did anyone. As for the original
"Tom" that inspired the baboonery, I know him well and he is a fine
fellow, indeed. Sometimes it HELPS to laugh at yourself. But clearly
some among us cannot find that path. That's OK, just don't go to his site.
        This is like a politician getting all hot and bothered because Mad
Magazine does a riff on him. Good grief, people, if you take yourselves
that seriously, just don't check out his site. He doesn't use the list other
than to invite those who want to to visit his web site. So, buck up and
pull a Barbara Bush and just don't go. Leave the rest of us to our drugs...
er, Proud Tom.
        I won't say any more about this - so all you Proud Tom Bashers can
have at it. Bash the hell out of him. It is better than the usual picking
on real people that periodically bursts forth on the list, anyway.
        He'll either make some more humor pages or he won't - if he
does, he maybe he will lampoon the bashing against him. Bet most of you
won't be able to resist checking that out. Sorry, but THAT strikes my funny
bone, as well. Guess I'm just a pervert...... but lest any of you think so
(and I know some do) I am NOT Proud Tom. I am not that witty.
        Long live the Nakhla Dog and Proud Tom, though I fear we may never
see the likes of either of them again.
        (maybe he'll make a SECRET page and only those that write me off
list will be able to get the URL - then he will exist only in the DEEP
UNDERGROUND "dark side" of the meteorite world and spare the offended
list members from being exposed to even seeing his URL - if he does, I
promise not to tell anyone who asks for the URL and who doesn't..... bet
requests include some of the nay sayers, though. Go for it Proud Tom,
NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!)
        Best wishes, Michael