[meteorite-list] Last on Adamana for a while (I hope)

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 18:19:11 -0800

Hello All,
Firstly, all of your statements rely either on the fact that this was an
atmospheric breakup in which larger (or oriented/atmospherically more
streamlined) stones falling at one end and the smaller stones falling at the
other.
This is clearly not the case.
As you stated, the Holbrook fall is an anomaly - there is no clear
differentiation between the sizes of stones found and opposing ends of the
strewnfield - rather, the larger stones have been found in the center of
it. The only logical conclusion to draw from this is that the Adamana
stone, had it indeed been a large individual of Holbrook, would have done
the same as the other large Holbrooks and fallen in this area.
The only other possible explanation for its falling so far beyond the
boundary of the mapped strewnfield would be a highly abnormal multiple-stage
breakup with large distances between fragmentation at a relatively great
height (this would be needed to create such a long strewnfield).
This, however, is impossible. If this were indeed the case, the initial
strewnfield would have a clearly defined strewnfield going from small stones
at one end to large at the other - but this does not occur. Assuming
that the main portion of the fall was only a fragment of the body
that continued and then itself fragmented (at a greater altitude than that
of the body that contained the Adamana fragment [because in order for the
mapped strewfield to have fallen *before* Adamana, its breaking off of the
main part of the fall must have been earlier and thus higher than the
fragment which continued on], which must have been much larger than the mass
that fragmented to create the majority of the Holbrook fall - for it
continued for a much greater distance), there would be a clearly defined
strewnfield with large stones at one end and smaller at the other in the
already mapped strewnfield.
Furthermore, I find the assumption that an oriented stone would travel
greater distances interesting, but most likely erroneous.
In falls that have been mapped, oriented stones have shown little to no
exception to the 'rule' that large stones fall farther from fragmentation
point of the body than do smaller stones. If you have some reasoning that
might exempt a piece of Holbrook from these tendencies, I'd be open to
hearing it, but I see nothing that would cause this to occur.
That being said, the possibility still remains that Adamana was a fragment
of a much larger fragment of Holbrook that detonated later in flight.
However, seeing as no other large stones, or, indeed, any other stones were
found between Adamana and the rest of the Holbrook strewnfield, I find this
conclusion highly unlikely. The fact that Holbrook in general tends to be
very friable also points us away from this conclusion.
Regards,
Jason