[meteorite-list] Suspected Meteorite Goes Through Window inIllinois

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 12:11:29 -0700

> Was Mr. Heisig snooping around on MeteoriteCentral yesterday? ;-)
> Whoops -- I was off by 1 degree on the angle. Guess that computer
> desk is a little shallower than I imagined, or the homeowner has
> bedroom windows more than 8 feet off the floor. Whether 19 degrees
> or 20 degrees from vertical, it still isn't possible for an iron
> meteorite without the benefit of a carom off an object outside that
> window.

That was my first thought, too (I've certainly modeled enough falls).
But on giving the matter more thought, I note that the shape of this
object is rather wing like. That being the case, especially given its
small size and low weight, I don't see why aerodynamics as it tumbled
couldn't impart a certain degree of horizontal velocity. Consider how a
leaf falls to the ground. This horizontal component would be random and
probably time-variant, with no relation to the original fall direction
(assuming this is a meteorite, which seems doubtful).

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com