[meteorite-list] Suspected Meteorite Hits Illinois Home

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 15:59:01 -0800

Hi Ken,

> In case you missed the video:
> http://www.pantagraph.com/video/2007/030507_spaceobject/

Thanks very much for posting the video link. Now we can see
that although my estimate yesterday of the computer table's
depth of two feet was maybe a little high, the hole in the
window is far less than the 5-1/2 feet above the table I
generously allowed. Which means the entry angle must be
considerably less steep than the 70 degrees that has been
claimed. Looks closer to 60 degrees, demonstrating once
again that most people are not very accurate when it comes
to estimating angles.

Note that there was no tree or other structure immediately
outside the bedroom window to redirect the metal through
the window. No matter how generous you want to get with
prevailing winds or aerodynamic lift, I don't think you
can get the ballistics to work for a chunk of exoatmospheric
metal.

--Rob