[meteorite-list] Suspected Meteorite GoesThroughWindowinIllinois

From: MexicoDoug <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 18:33:52 -0600

"If the object were falling at 50 m/s, an 18 mph wind would be sufficient to
give it a 20? deviation"

The model of free fall would seem to differ greatly from an airplane in
dynamic equilibrium with the force of gravity, travelling horizontally
powered and depending on aerodynamically generated lift. Are you saying
that an infinitely dense object would be diverted 20 degrees by an 18 mph
wind (in the extreme)? If not, maybe you can help me understand better your
assumption on how a chunk of metal like this floats or sails on the air
currents? I've held plenty of irons that size and I don't think they would
make good wings due to the weight to lift ratio. Not saying you are wrong -
my intuition just seems to fail.

Otherwise I have no problems with looking for the explanation,however
unlikely, can explain the observations. Well, it certainly doesn't appear
to be thumbprinting nor fusion crust. Though the potential thumbprinting
structure and irregularities certainly pours cold water on the airfoil and
'lift' theory for me further. The professor in the video after a good joke
and rather nice presentation says, if I can understand something to the
effect that "the fusion crust = the thumbprinting"., rather than what I
expected to hear, fusion crust and thumbprinting. Very minor observation if
true and perhaps debatable as to whether thumprinting is fusion crust or
just a morphological characteristic caused by ablation as I would describe
it. This is important tome as the difference between having true fusion
crust (as the professor seems to continue to say) or just some indented
chunk metal.

On the other hand, if it is so subject to the air currents due to its light
weight, the apparent great energy that hole in the window and through the
book and desk is unexplainable for me. So maybe intuition is dead wrong.
What seems much more likely to me is that the object was hurled horizontally
in which case it goes through the window and through the breaking glass is
altered down at the desk which is plausible for an object hurled
horizontally AFTER passing the maximum height (vertex) in its parabolic arc.
That would be my fraudless alternate explanation to explain the facts.

Best health,
Doug