[meteorite-list] Suspected Meteorite GoesThroughWindowinIllinois

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 18:22:40 -0700

>Are you saying
>that an infinitely dense object would be diverted 20 degrees by an 18
>mph
>wind (in the extreme)? If not, maybe you can help me understand better
>your
>assumption on how a chunk of metal like this floats or sails on the air
>currents?

Not exactly. An object in free fall is going to trend towards a
horizontal air speed of zero. In a steady 18 mph wind, that equates to a
horizontal ground speed of 18 mph. The heavier the object, the longer it
will take to reach that zero airspeed. So if this thing was falling
vertically, and then experienced a brief gust, it would hardly be
affected. On the other hand, if fell a mile in that wind, I'd expect its
ground speed to be close to the wind speed: it wouldn't be falling
vertically. This has little to do with aerodynamics. It is also why
there can be no apparent relationship between the orientation of a
strewn field and the path of the meteor that produced it.

>I've held plenty of irons that size and I don't think they would
>make good wings due to the weight to lift ratio. Not saying you are
>wrong -
>my intuition just seems to fail.

The object in question is quite small, and quite flat. It doesn't have
to be a very good wing to still generate some lift and produce an angled
descent (you'd probably use the term "crash" if an airplane landed at
the same angle as this chunk of metal). I've dropped similarly shaped
rocks off of cliffs, and watched them fall. They definitely don't drop
straight, but look a lot like falling leaves.

>What seems much more likely to me is that the object was hurled
>horizontally
>in which case it goes through the window and through the breaking glass
>is
>altered down at the desk which is plausible for an object hurled
>horizontally AFTER passing the maximum height (vertex) in its parabolic
>arc.

I would be more likely to believe this if it had just punctured the
cheap particle board desk. But the damage to the atlas is more
impressive. A stack of paper like that can absorb a lot of energy. It
looks to me like the object had considerably more velocity than I'd
expect from something tossed by hand. Maybe somebody a few blocks away
built a potato cannon?

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory