[meteorite-list] New Orleans

From: Norbert Classen <trifid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 13:37:14 +0100

Bill,

Maybe you could do some research prior to posting such a comment?

First, IMCA is not selling meteorites (some IMCA members are), and Al
Falster is no IMCA member. Go and check our members list at www.imca.cc ...

Second, you can't "buy" an IMCA number - each applicant for IMCA membership
needs recommending members, and each application is thouroghly checked by
our Membership Committee and voted upon by the IMCA Board of Directors.

We received about 1 application per day, during the first two months of this
year, and not even 20% of the applicants make the vote - so it's not just
about paying dues, it's about authenticity, and proper business practices. I
fear that a man without a last name (who's Bill anyway?) wouldn't even
master the first steps to IMCA membership.

And, answering your question: it surely would do no harm to have a scientist
look at your crumbs prior to selling them as PF, would it? It sounds like
you are not sure that these actually do represent the Real McCoy... In any
case, as an IMCA member you would have to grant the authenticity of each and
every specimen you sell, and it would be YOUR task to take care of the
proper steps to do so. My point being obvious, I hope ...

All the best,
Norbert Classen
Vice President IMCA Inc.
http://www.imca.cc/

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----

Ken,

Most of us know about the N.O. excursion. Point is, how reliable can the
authenticty of street crumbs be? Can the IMCA vouch for each and every crumb
that's sold by a member of your org.? I have buckets of very nice crumbs
from PF that I could market. Can I sell if I buy an imca number or do I need
the crumbs authenticated. Any volunteers? My point being obvious, I hope.

Bill