[meteorite-list] A modest proposal

From: David Priest <dpriest_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:28:20 -0500

I have a modest recommendation as a possible cure for what ails the list.
With all due respect, in one word: lithium.
The proper minimal dose has few side effects and restores intelligent people
to their stable and impressive natural state, having removed them from the
emotional roller coaster they were trapped on, and in the process, released
us (the captive audience) as well.
But the choice for treatment is not ours.
What we can choose to do is upgrade the editing of the list to park
emotional tirades and other flame mail in a sub directory. A few word
filters would do the job ("torture, stupid, prison, kill you," etc.) without
damaging our freedom of speech. After reviewing the useful scientific and
collecting discussions, we could opt to peek into the "Meteoric Tantrum
Event" sub directory for the latest ego battles.
We can't turn off the noise, which has grown and has been tolerated and thus
nurtured by this list for years. So let's just park the kids in the corner
for a while. We could keep scores, place wagers, etc.
Remember this list's good old days when the palientologists and geologists
and planetary scientists would battle over theories about mass extinction
events?

My Best Regards to the list,

David Priest