[meteorite-list] Forwarded AD - BURNWELL

From: Impactika at aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:20:51 EDT

Hello Members,
Some of you might remember Rhett Bourland who used to be very active on the
List. But Rhett is very busy now, and he is no longer a member of the List,
so he has asked me to post this for him. And I am glad to help.
If you are interested, please contact him directly at:
_rbourlan at evansville.net_ (mailto:rbourlan at evansville.net)

Thank you.

Anne M. Black
_www.IMPACTIKA.com_ (http://www.IMPACTIKA.com)
_IMPACTIKA at aol.com_ (mailto:IMPACTIKA at aol.com)
President, I.M.C.A. Inc.
_www.IMCA.cc_ (http://www.IMCA.cc)

Hi everyone,
I know I haven't been active in the meteorite community lately due to work
and family obligations but I'm here today to raise a bit of money by selling
one of the crown jewels of my collection; a 4.1g slice of Burnwell.
For those of you unfamiliar with Burnwell, depending on where you read about
it, it is classified as either an anomalous H4 or HH4. Yes, HH4. There is
a total of one of these in the world and it hit a house in Burnwell, KY USA
on September 4, 1990 and a total of around 3kg TKW. Almost all of this
meteorite is in the Smithsonian. I say almost all of it because in 2001 I was
lucky enough to be the only person to receive part of it (a little over 12g). I
had it cut up and sold or traded most of it away to other collectors while
keeping the largest portion of it for myself. This piece has beautiful dark
crust on one edge as well as a Smithsonian number painted on it. There is NO
weathering on it at all and it looks like a stone that fell yesterday. The
many visible chondrules (some armored) are easy to spot and truth be told, I'm
kind of surprised that this was classified as a HH4 and not an HH3. Other
than cutting it has been treated by expert Jim Hartman to prevent any aging and
has been in a membrane case for the past 5 years. I will also include the
shipping papers from the Smithsonian so you can track the ownership from space
to your door. To read more about how the Smithsonian obtained this
meteorite read here http://www.agiweb.org/geotimes/dec99/feature.html For those of
you wary of purchasing a meteorite from someone you may not know, check out
the IMCA's site at http://imca.cc/insights/2006/IMCA-Insights01.htm to read
about how I helped form the association.
Put simply, this is the largest privately owned piece of an entire class of
meteorite that has hit a house in America, has excellent pedigree, and is
simply beautiful. How often does a chance like this come up? Asking price is
$8,000. I'll pay for first class insured shipping to your door.
If interested please feel free to call me at 812-484-8369 at any time or
write back to me. This offer stands until noon March 15, 2007, Eastern Standard
Time.
Thank you for your time,
Rhett Bourland

Anne M. Black