[meteorite-list] View points

From: Ingo Herkstroeter <metopaster_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 00:06:21 +0100

Hi Martin, Mike and List!

First of all the e-mail to Armando was a private one and shouldn't go to
the list! I don't know why Armando posted it (mistake, I think) and it's
also not very important for me! I stand to that, I have written in the
mail. But I have seen Martin, that you never have understand, what my
point was and still is really.

The goal of this list is (in my understanding) to let knowledge about
meteorites and related things growth. It's not the place for personal
fights or blaming. I hate, for example, the game between Mike and Matteo
and also the lot of mails, which follow them, where others say, that
they hate it. Same was the game with Steve a while ago. For me such
fights in a public forum are childish, nothing more. So if I had to say
something to this subject: I posted it directly to these persons, but
not to the list. This sort of post, was it, that I send to Armando to
say him, that I think in a way like he, but that a personal attack is
not the way.

Martin, you have attacked my view of meteorites and meteorite business
directly, but you show very clearly for me, that you have absolutely
missed my point:
I don't have problems with the cutting of a meteorite generally. How one
should make research without cutting? How to discover strange inclusions
or uncommon minerals in them, without cutting? Simply not possible!
I also don't have problems with the fact, that you and others (and yes,
me too) make money with them, while one cut them.

I have two view points on meteorites you have mixed up:

1. Personally collection view point:

I like individuals and full slices more than fragments and part slices.
I like slices with crust more than these without and I like fresh
material more than weathered. Bigger is also better!
You maybe have realized that viewpoint as you offered me an individual
for my resell last year, which I didn't wanted, cause I had to cut it
there for.
I don't like meteorite spheres, carvings and so on.

2. Generally (or lets say more scientific) viewpoint

Meteorites are rocks, so they not only have a typical mineral
composition, for each class, they have a typical structure, also!! If
you have two rocks with the same mineral composition, but different
structures, you have two different rocks.
My problems with some dealers start exactly on that point: If they begin
to cut meteorites under that size, and that only for a little bit more
money. As a small example lets take a lunar meteorite (lunar material is
still the material, which becomes cut in very small slices, micros or
what ever, caused by a very high price per gram and a big publicity, so
one can make good money):
Let's take DAG 400 as a classic lunar sample: DAG 400 is classified as
anorthositic breccia, containing granulitic fragments, intergranularly
recrystallized anorthosites and mineral fragments. How can a micro slice
represent all these components? It can't! Sometimes it can be hard to
cut a slice under 1 gram, which even shows completely matrix surrounded
anorthositic clasts. So in smaller slices (mm size or micros) all the
expressiveness (in a petrologic way) is lost. This is not the interest
of science and it should surely not be the interest of a collector also.
The second thing here is the cut lose, for smaller slices much more
higher, so more of the material is lost for ever
In this way I don't like (most of) the Chladni Cases (especially not the
"S" sized ones)!
We all know that it can happen, that a slice breaks and you get micros,
but a special production of these is a different thing.

Martin, you see it's not the "IF" you make money with meteorites, is
more the "HOW" you make it.

That's my opinion, nothing more and nothing less! Not better than yours,
but surely not lesser worth than yours also!

By the way, Martin! I don't know, what you mean with this:
"And I saw you in past of course selling small slices and cuts, also
from
your Moroccan exotic stones too, which you cut down."

The only material from meteorites, which I have classified and sold by
Ebay were OCs not very exotic! ;) The exotic stuff and also all main
masses (OC or not) will remain in my collection!

Hope we will have a good discussion one day, while sitting somewhere
with a beer or wine!!!

Best Wishes

Ingo

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----