[meteorite-list] correction on illinois irons

From: Mike Jensen <meteoriteplaya_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 23:05:17 -0600

Hi Michael
According to this article;
Formation of IIAB Irons By Wasson, J. T., Huber, Heinz & Malvin,
Daniel J. from GCA 71 (2007) 760-781
They state in appendix B that : "The 47-kg Fredericksburg (Texas) iron
was first reported to us by a person living in Alaska, who stated that
it had been inherited from a deceased relative who lived near
Fredericksburg. Our analysis of the sample shows that, within error,
its composition is the same as that of Richland (Texas) iron. Both
irons appear to be strongly weathered. However, these two Texas
locations are 297 km apart, farther apart than plausible for a strewn
field. Our best guess is that human transport has been involved, and
that they are fragments from the same fall. Fredericksburg is not an
approved name; we suggest that this mass be referred to as Richland
(Fredericksburg) unless future studies imply that it resulted from a
distinct fall."

They also have paired up several other irons but most well know is
Dutch Flat. They recommend treating it as paired with Sikhote-Alin.

--
Mike